Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual, Inc. has added a new fair exhibit category this year entitled Memory Keepers which will involve a 300-500 word history of anything pertaining to Cherokee history and culture. The written portion may be accompanied by 3-5 copies of photographs. The photographs must be copies (not originals), and they must be framed and 8.5” x11” in size.
The written submission must be historically accurate and include a list of sources used if applicable. On a separate page, list any sources used by title and author’s name (books, newspapers, magazines, etc.).
Examples of written submissions include: an account of one’s memories of the Cherokee Indian Fair including grandstand memories or pageant history; history of archery or blowguns; gardening secrets; history of any Cherokee art or craft; history of herbs; family history or tradition; history of foods eaten by Cherokee and/or food preserving techniques; history of Cherokee dances; square dance history; history of Cherokee games; family stories; or a history of resources used by the Cherokee for arts and crafts, hunting, dyes, clothing, etc.
The submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
- Submit two copies of your written submission and two copies of any photographs – one with your full name and one without to ensure that the submission will be blindly judged.
- The submission meets the word limit requirement.
- The submission meets the Cherokee history and culture requirement.
- Accurate historical information is provided with sources identified for any historical information.
- Attention has been paid to grammar and spelling accuracy.
If you have any questions about this new category, contact Vicki Cruz or Denise Ballard 497-3103.
Adult Category (19+up)
1st – $125
2nd – $100
3rd – $75
Young Adult Category (13-18)
1st – $75
2nd – $50
3rd – $25
1st – $35
2nd – $25
3rd – $15
– Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual, Inc.