By JEAN JONES
ONE FEATHER EDITOR
The start of a new school year is just around the corner- Aug. 7. It’s time to shop for trendy school clothes and buy new shoes. Getting the right book bag is a must. Time to see friends once again.
If your child is an upcoming kindergarten student, it takes on even more meaning as your child transitions from head start to “big” school. Cherokee Elementary School will host a second kindergarten registration on July 23 from 4pm-6pm.
A kindergarten program provides an educational environment that encourages families, schools, and communities to share responsibilities for supporting children to become life-long learners and sensible adults.
As you begin the registration process, be aware there are a number of documents you will need in order to complete your student enrollment application. Early planning helps you alleviate the rush to gather necessary documents which could delay the process.
To register your child for kindergarten, the following information is required:
- Birth certificate
- Enrollment card of Indian Blood (if applicable)
- Immunizations/shot record and up-to-date physical
- Court order for guardianship (if student is living with someone other than the parent)
The enrollment application will ask for other information such as:
- Parent/guardian information
- Emergency contact information
- Signed permission for student check out
- Permanent permission for school trips, internet use, school to photograph
- Primary language survey
- Nurses consent form/head lice policy
- CES Parent/student/school compact
This is not a comprehensive list for additional information can be requested by the school as your child enters the school system. For information, call 828-554-5020.
It’s never too early to start.