SUBMITTED By ROBIN CALLAHAN, RD, LDN, MHS
The Cherokee Community Wellness Team (CCWT) hosted its 3rd annual Spring Fitness Frenzy on Wednesday, May 22 at the Ginger Lynn Welch Complex. The goal of the event was to promote physical fitness among the Cherokee communities. Participants were able to try a 15-minute workout including: step aerobics, Zumba, interval training, cross fit, the kettle bell, and yoga.
After participants finished their workout, they enjoyed a nutritious and delicious Body by Vi Protein Shake and fruit and yogurt parfait. Blood pressure, blood sugar, body fat, BMI (body mass index) checks were available, along with information on wellness resources in the community.
Over 60 participants came out for the event. Birdtown won the community competition for the second year in a row having the most participants and earning a $50 Food Lion gift card for their community club. Wolftown was a close second.
CCWT officials related, “The Cherokee Community Wellness Team would like to extend gratitude to the following:
- Principal Chief Hicks for granting administrative leave for employees to attend and for CCWT members to work the event.
- Tribal supervisors for allowing their employees to volunteer at and participate in the event
- The Healing & Wellness Coalition for volunteering and sponsoring the water bottles & Nike Fuel Band raffle.
- Cherokee Choices for volunteering and sponsoring the volunteer luncheon, raffle prizes, and community challenge.
- Cherokee Food Lion for sponsoring the Fruit & Yogurt Parfait Bar
- Shawn Crowe for copying the Cherokee Choices Work out DVDs
- Volunteers including:
– step aerobics with Michelle Lopez, CCWT
– Zumba with Deanna Hallum
– interval training with Bryan Kinsey, RN with Cherokee Diabetes
– personal training session with Skye Littledave of the Cherokee Life Center
– cross fit with Jeremy Wilson
– kettle bell with Damion Solis of Healthy Heart
– yoga – coordinator Robin Callahan, RD, LDN, MHS of Cherokee Choices/CCWT
– Cherokee Runners Club, Chad Bowman and Elnora Thompson
– Body by Vi with James Taylor
– blood pressure and BMI with Rose James, RN of Cherokee Choices
– blood glucose with Andrea Crisp, RN of Community Health
– body Fat and sports nutrition with Nilofer Couture, RD, CDE, LDN Cherokee Indian Hospital/CCWT
– sign-in, greeters, set-up clean-up Phyllis Shell, Mollie Littlejohn, Sis Cabe, Keahana Lambert and Tara Mc Coy – CCWT members
– fruit and yogurt parfait bar, Catcuce Tiger of Cherokee Choices/ CCWT
If you would like more information about the CCWT , the Spring Fitness Frenzy, or to learn more about fitness opportunities in your community contact Robin Callahan, RD, LDN, MHS- Cherokee Choices at email@example.com or 828-554-6785.
Upcoming fitness classes
Step & Sculpt
Wednesdays from 5-5:45pm
Tuesdays from 12-12:5pm with Robin
Thursday from 12-12:50pm with Tinker
GLW Complex Community Room
Classes are free and open to everyone.
Info: Robin 554-6785, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored by Cherokee Choices